Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oh, Canada!

Beware, lots of boring pictures of Brenden in Canada. 

Last weekend I (Brenden) had an amazing opportunity to travel up to Ottawa, Ontario for a Symposium.  A collaborative project with York University and the University of Ottawa brought a group of scholars to town (including me), sat us in a room and had us discuss/debate/share on related expertise we have.  It was one of the most rewarding intellectual/academic experiences I have ever had.  Truly amazing.  But...since it is mostly family that reads this, I won't bore you with details about that.

Due to some scheduling issues, I had to fly in the day before the symposium.  Thankfully, this gave me a full morning and afternoon to explore Ottawa.


It was cold, so I geared up.
Breakfast at Benny's Bistro and the most amazing plain croissant (and Pain au chocolate) at the adjoining "French Bakery"  Highly recommended.
If you can't tell, cathedrals are very shiny in Ottawa.  Blinding in the morning sun.
Outside the National Gallery of Canada.  I wasn't aware that giant mutant spiders were a national symbol for the county.  Creeped me out, in any case...
Inside the National Gallery.  You can't take pictures inside, so this is it guys...sorry.
I was excited to visit the full exhibit they have of Inuit Art.  Unfortunately, the entire section was closed.  Boo!  In my anger, I snapped a picture of the one case they did have sitting in the hallway.  ARG!!!
After the National Gallery, I decided to walk to Quebec. That's right - Quebec is just right across the Ottawa River.  Here's Champlain up on a hill....doing his thing.
1/2way across the Interprovincial Bridge.  1. You can see the Parliament in the background.  2. Julianne would have been freaking out by this point - being out in the middle of the big bridge would have given her the willies.

Another view of Parliament, Maple Leaf waving proudly.


I went across the river to visit the Canadian Museum of Civilization, in Gatineau.  I was sorely disappointed that the national gallery had almost NO indigenous / First Nations art.  Instead, it is all over at the museum in Gatineau.  This is interesting for a variety of reasons.  I think it is a mistake to leave Native arts in the history museum.  Sends the wrong message. 

Growing up in the Pacific NW, I have a soft spot in my heart for NW Coastal First Nations art.

Did you know that the original shabby, bearded, beanie-wearing hipsters were 17th-18th century Canadian cod fishers?  One of many things I learned in the museum

From there I took a walk along the Ottawa River, looping around and back to Ontario.

The National Archives of Canada which I have never had to visit because they have been kind enough to digitize and post online ALL of the government documents I need for my research.

The Supreme Court

Rather than red carpets, they go for brown.

There was a big sign outside practically begging people to come inside...so I did.

This picture is for Ken.

Parliament. 

There was an Ojibwa environmental protest going on, so I listened for a while.

Poutine - the quintessential "Canadian" fast food.  Fries, cheese curd, gravy.  I didn't even make a dent in this thing!


This one is for Julianne.  That's a 5 kg tub!  I almost went in to buy it off them, but didn't think customs would let it back into the states.


Dinner at the symposium set the stage for what was to be the intellectual feast to come.  Rabbit Roulade.

Elk.

Dessert...with crazy sauces.

In all, an amazing weekend.  I met some amazing peoples, fundamentally rethought how I approach some of my research topics, and look forward to some exciting future collaborations with new colleagues!  Go Canada!

3 comments:

ken said...

I love that spider sculpture. I still have a framed picture of it in my room. Also, it looks like it was a lot colder for you than when I was there.

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! So glad you had some time to explore besides the amazing symposium. Mom

Carianne said...

Those fries look disgusting. Glad you had a fun trip.