Saturday, May 3, 2014

April: the month of travel part 1

At the end of March, my sister, Carianne, found out that they were selected to adopt a baby girl.  My parents were scheduled to come up and visit but cancelled their trip when they found out the news.  I couldn't be left out of the fun and wanted to go see this new addition so I packed up the kids and headed down.  We had a fantastic time.  I was able to meet the birth mom and visit Carianne and the new baby at the hospital. Unfortunately it isn't a happy ending yet.  We found out after we left that the birth father had contested the adoption.  I hope and pray that things will work out in their favor.  They are faithful people and I know the Lord will bless them for their faith and patience.  Keep them in your prayers!


 The kids did the Mayor's run in Gilbert.  The kids rode their bikes and Carianne and I ran.  I was the only one to finish.  Kate fell off her bike and my kids spotted the doughnuts and quit early.
  

We spent some time with the best kids ever.  My kids are so lucky to have such good cousins. 
 

Grandpa Randy was always willing to take the kids on walks. Pete was able to practice his new bike riding skills!


This is my BFF Frances.  My mom has been watching her a few days each week.  It was fun to be able to spend so much time with her.  She is sure Key-ute! 


We were lucky enough to be down for Henry's 2nd birthday party.  He loves Micky Mouse and had a Micky themed party.  After we were able to go to Disney on Ice.  My dad got box seats through work and it was awesome.  


One quick story:  Pete was chewing on a glow stick when we realized his pants were glowing.  A few seconds later he was crying in pain and had gotten glow stick stuff in his eyes!  It was a good thing we were in the box because we spent 20 minutes flushing his eyes with water.  And no, his eyes weren't glowing. 


It is hot down in Phoenix... even at the beginning of April.  We're talking high 90's.  We hit up the splash pad to keep cool. 


On the way to AZ we made record time.  The kids and I stopped only twice to get gas and go to the bathroom.  The way back was torture.  Once we got through Las Vegas the traffic was going really slow.  I kept calling Brenden to find out if there had been an accident.  At one point traffic had completely stopped and everyone was hanging out outside their cars in the middle of the dessert.  No one knew what was going on.  It turns out there were some crazy ranchers who blocked off I-15 and I was right in the middle of it! I wanted to roll my window down and give them the thumbs down but I saw their big guns and didn't. 


It was a great trip! I am so lucky to live close enough to hop in the car and drive!  People think I am crazy for traveling solo with the kids for 12 hours but I am just thrilled I can do it. 12 hours is a whole lot better than 20 hours from Nebraska!

1 comment:

Hyder Ali said...

I finally took a trip to AZ with my kids solo...and it was flippin awesome! I don't think you nuts. Look at all the fun that was had! :D