Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring Break 2008

For Julianne's Spring Break we went down to Arizona and had a great time. Julianne had a great time with family and I (Brenden) spent 4 full days digging through archival materials for my dissertation. Woo Hoo!


Here's some highlights: (for the whole slew of pictures go to our PHOTOBUCKET site).

Saturday, March 29: We went hiking in the Superstition Mountains (East of Phoenix). This is on the Hieroglyph Canyon Trail.



Who knew that Arizona could have colors other than brown?!

More desert foliage.

The crew doing their best cactus impressions. Apparently, Stacey thought we were doing impressions of Pine Trees or spaceships. Julianne is acting like she's in a holdup, and Lorinda just seems to be leaning to the side. The only believable cactus is Gregg. Way to go McFreddy. On the other hand, maybe he's just waving hi.

Some Petroglyphs. I think some of it is real, and some has been added by annoying snot-nosed brat tourists. I think I see the artist formerly known as Prince symbol in there somewhere. The original site is Hohokam.

Looking South back towards Apache Junction/Gold Canyon/Gilbert. Another surprise – water in the desert!

Our first hike together in, like, years. Way to be in the background Stacey and Chris!

This is my favorite picture from the trip. To the untrained eye, it may just look like a bunch of cacti. But, if you look closely, you'll see that one of the cactus is wearing a shirt with a polar bear and ice-cream sandwich on it, and has a 5 o'clock shadow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the break, we also developed some mean Rock Band skills.

Our niece Jenna shredding a mean guitar.


Me shredding an even meaner guitar. I worked up quite a sweat doing this howler monkey impression.

An unrelated picture: Harianne is an addiction problem! Look at her smoking that leaf!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julianne's Baby Shower


Presents! People!



Family, Friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, March 29.

On our way home we went to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. It took a bit of dirt roads, but was worth the trip. The place is completely isolated and gorgeous. You can camp there too, and there are trails galore. I'd love to go back for a few days and explore.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, on our way home we passed through Alamosa, Colorado. The town was suffering from an outbreak of Salmonella that had already sent hundreds of people to the hospital from contaminated water. Here is one local business's solution. Very funny.


5 comments:

ken said...

I like the ruins in New Mexico. Isn't that where we rendezvoused with UN troops on Ghost Recon?

Kim Watson said...

Brenden, very entertaining post. I loved your comments on the cactus-posing picture. Thanks for the laugh.
Julianne, I wish I was in AZ so I could've seen you and gone to your shower! I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Carianne said...

Love the pictures. Although Brenden the Rock Band pictures don't seem to do your mad skills justice. Cactus picture is a hoot!

Lara said...

Wow! Amazing photos! Just blog surfing and came across this one on as I was following the "trail" of blogs from someone in my ward. I'm from your parents' ward in Bellingham :) Congrats on the coming baby girl!

Carla said...

Hey guys,
I loved all of the pictures! But I loved that you were able to stop by even more. I am bummed that I missed Julianne's baby shower......it looked like a great time! And "oh my gosh" Jenna is sooo pretty. She has grown so much since I've seen her last!